Highlights: Tiaon's bike's rear tire got destroyed under suspicious circumstances... so we may or may not have been WALKING the entire island since Thursday. ouch. It's 2.5 hours out to our southern unit, so lessons were low this week. And my feet hurt. But we are pioneers!
It was LONG. I am sunburned like you wouldn't believe it. I'm in the sun every day, but we were just frying and Tiaon pulled some Kiribati mischief and he made us some hats out of leaves... so that was fun hahaha
It's all good. how was your week though? I had a scary dream about you Saturday night... the island is out of gasoline, so it comes to the island on a big ship, and you were aboard said ship coming to visit me and Tiaon and mom and Ian? But right when it came into view it exploded.... all passengers survived including yourself, and you came ashore via a small dinghy. but you had some serious shock or something. It was a sketchy dream.
(We asked if it is a big deal to be out of gas on the island?)
No gas isn't a big deal - I bought a drum of gasoline about 2 months ago, and we just have it at the house. We use it for the generator for FHE and game night on Fridays, but our members use it as a gas station. They buy their gas in coconuts. So we're fine actually, but the rest of the island is not doing so hot. The drum was expensive, $240, but it's worth it, gas has run out twice since I bought it.(There is actually nothing for them to spend their monthly money on, so this was a pretty good use of his money. The family he lives with and the branch members can all use it. I'm not sure I love a drum of gasoline sitting next to a stick hut, but I guess that's just one of many things I'll try not to think about.)
(We asked about the lady who was recently baptized and the couple who are trying to get married - by Dallin - so they can get baptized.) She's great, came to church fasting and paid tithing yesterday - champion.
Lots of progress for the couple. He's the man. Their paper will be due 2 weeks from Friday, so we'll marry them sometime after that. Pres sent me a paper with an explanation on how to perform a marriage, I haven't read it
yet.
(We have been praying for the members that they will feel unity amidst all the persecution. It was starting to have a negative effect on the group.) They're doing better. I talked on the Pharisees last week and I've had lots of conversations about the concept of living what we know with lots of members over this week. They get the picture and they're doing their best.
When Farley, Risk, and Fausett go home this week I will be the oldest missionary. I got off the plane first out of our intake :) Tiaon and I have to split in October. Not sure which one of us will go where, but one will stay and one will leave. Whoever stays will acclimate the new missionary on Nikunau, and then leave pretty quick after. We'll see.
(He asked if he would have time to get a new suit before his homecoming talk in December) I think i'm only bringing home what I'm wearing and very little else honestly. I only really want to bring home my Kiribati tie, and one tie Kalani sent me. I think i might leave suitcases too, because elders here always needing suitcases and they're surprisingly hard to come by. I will bring home meaningful things... one of my goals for the mission has been to create "artifacts" out of some select things, like scriptures, my fan, my white handbook, name tags, crocs, sleeping mat, my belt and a few other things. Those things are the only important things.
Davis, my MTC companion, is our new AP this transfer. I just heard from him. Goofball. He was on Abaiang this whole time I've been here. Seriously though. its impossible to describe this mission. Life is just crazy here.
Gotta go.
love, dal
No comments:
Post a Comment